Wednesday, July 10, 2024

 Well hello there! It has been a minute! As of date my G is 19 and my A is 15! What in the world?? Time is a thief for sure. G is doing pretty well actually! Working and taking classes at the local community college...still the same kid just older. A is actually having a harder time. His autism and intellectual disability gets more pronounced as the years tick by. So much to catch up on. Autism is hard man! I know it is hard as a parent to watch your child navigate this but know it is probably harder for them. But man, this kid! He is a little spoiled, I admit it. He had to have a lot of attention as a baby and youngster for medical issues and is kind of used to that so now demands attention all the time. This is accompanied by screaming and SIB's (Self Injurious Behaviors) to show his disapproval of lack of attention.  God forbid I do the dishes! I'm not exaggerating, okay maybe a smidgen, but not much. The truth, and maybe you can relate, is we have to have someone "on watch" at all times....so going to the bathroom, showers, etc....all have to be coordinated. Kind of like having a very tall toddler. But, I am tired. VERY tired. All the time. I don't mean to be whining at all so please forgive the implication. This is what I signed up for when I had kids....the unexpected. We just don't know how God wants our lives to go and sometimes it is not how we envisioned it. Anyway, this kid has amazing musical ability and rhythm. He loves music! He will beat his belly ( not joking) rhythmically to music he has memorized and expect us to be the Shazam! Sweet boy, we are so beneath your ability. I digress....it is not an easy task raising Special needs kids but when that sweet child or man child give me a big hug....I know this is nothing I would ever trade for anything.  

No comments:

Post a Comment